Thursday, April 22, 2010

Winter Babies





Winter babies require winter hats and I was completely unprepared for the test of winter when my first born arrived to greet -20 degree weather. Thankfully, a kind and wonderful relative brought over the tiniest, most perfect winter stocking cap for him shortly after we arrived home. The hat was white and fit him snug as a bug in a rug. Six years later, I think of him wearing this tiny white hat and know that 1. it would be no bigger than a skull cap 2. it wouldn't be white anymore and 3. the ties would reach under his nose and tickle.

I tried my hand again for the sketch at Everything but the Kitchen Sink, this time taking a more subdued and literal approach. The card base is cut to shape, I added the hand-made pom-pom (the kind that my grandma makes) and cotton (from the Emergency Room visit for the said mentioned boy) to complete the look of the cap. The visible edges of the card and the tag are distressed with ink and some have marker lines for definition and dimension.

Supplies Used: Georgia Pacific Cardstock, Kraft Cardstock from Archer's Paper, Me & My Big Ideas DSP, SU ChitChat Rubon, Colorbox Chalk Ink in Creamy Brown, SU Close to Cocoa Marker, Yarn, Cotton

22 comments:

  1. Great job on the sketch!! I chuckled because I always remember putting hats on the kids when they were babies:) I always enjoy your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How creative with the little cap! I am glad I turned you onto Lady Gaga. Her music is really good but she is a weirdo! You should google some of her outfits, especially the one she wore when she met Queen Elizabeth! Crazy!

    Brandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, this is perfect!! So clever and creative!!! I love it! Thanks for playing along with ebtks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love hearing the story about the hat, Karen. This is a beautiful interpretation of the sketch and very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, this is fabulous! you are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. too cute! this is so fun and creative! I am having so much fun seeing what you do with this sketch!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful idea "Miss I'm Finding this Sketch to be a Real Challenge" HA right... seriously though what a a great winter baby card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, this is cute, Karen! What a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karen this is just amazing. So creative, and I love the story with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great take on this sketch, Karen! I love it! Makes me feel warm and fuzzy----especially since we're in the midst of a spring snowstorm here in the mountains!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ooooh.. what a creative Christmas card! You've definitely got a jump on me. Love the pom-pom!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is it possible that you will have the top 2 entries for this sketch? Yep, I think so!! This is so great- now when I look at that sketch all I see is a barn or a little hat!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cute idea! I love it! Thanks for playing with us in the EBTKS challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yahoo! Yippee! Woot Woot and WooHoo!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had a feeling you had a winner- I honestly wasn't sure which one though- the barn was a ringer too!!! CONGRATS!!!! (I know I already posted on this one, but a WIN needs an extra comment- don't you think?! ) :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats, Karen! What a fabulous take on the challenge. I just wasn't feeling the mojo on this one :).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wooo whooo! Huge smile spread on my face when I saw this card won! Awesome job, Karen! Can't wait to see what you do with all that gorgeous ribbon. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on your win :-), your card is extra special.. such a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on your EBTKS win! What a cool card!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on your big win, Karen! What a cool card! My purse card tanked-big time!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey, Karen! I'm so behind on my blog reading, but wanted to be sure I congratulated you on your EBTKS win! Perfect card for the sketch (which was a real stumper for me)! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete