Friday, April 23, 2010

The Veils




She felt pretty...beautiful. She took a step forward, then one back, then around and around she went. She twirled and twirled but stopped short of falling down. She couldn't ruin the pretty new dress or veil her mama made for her. She heard her name being called and went to stand by her sister. She was just as pretty, only with tiny purple roses on her veil instead of pink. It was their day...a special day. Two little girls were about to receive their first communion.

Since layers and embellishments go hand in hand with the vintage style, this card was a stretch for me. There are so many beautiful vintage creations out there...I'm glad I tried it out and I'm happy with the results. I was inspired by the beautiful images in the Wee Memories Challenge and the sketch at Card Patterns and decided to try out the spiral flower technique that has been popping up. I also distressed each element pretty heavily with a walnut stain wash, which was fun but left my hands looking like I've been playing in dirt with the boys. Pearls and satin ribbon finished the look.



Supplies Used: Rose and Kraft Paper from Archers Paper, SU Sweet Pea DSP, SU Sincere Salutations and Baroque Motifs Stamp Set, SU True Thyme Pigment Ink, Ranger Walnut Distress Ink, SU Ivory Satin Ribbon, Doily, Half-Backed Pearls, Thread

12 comments:

  1. so very pretty and elegant! i adore those paper roses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet! I like all those flowers and I have to try that technique! Great use of the doily and pearls and sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very, very pretty...love the vintage look, and the roses are beautiful...I still can't get the hang of getting mine to look right!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an elegant vintage card! Beautiful! Thanks for playing at Card Patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice, although I like a little less style!

    ReplyDelete
  6. just beautiful, karen! aren't they so fun to do?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. soooo shabby chic karen...love the soft colors and of course, your blooms...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Soo pretty... glad you played!! :D hope you will play with this weeks challenge :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOWZA! This is so amazingly gorgeous! I love it!

    ReplyDelete