Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The GrownUp Conversation



Husband: What are you doing? Me: (as I am placing this card on our giant maple tree) Taking a picture of my card. Husband: Why? Me: To see if outside pictures really are better. Husband: Why? (he's a man of many words...) Me: Because a lot of people do it. Husband: Why? Me: It's supposed to showcase your cards better. Husband: Why? Me: I don't know. Are you writing a book or something?
Truth be told, natural light really does work. I didn't have to adjust my levels, contrast or color (for you photoshop fans!) Second truth be told, I rarely ever get to take photographs of my cards in daylight, as I like to spend what little time I have with my boys after work and am a late night crafter. Sigh. This card originally was created with the Color Throwdown Challenge colors on mind, but I was too pokey to post it and thus missed the deadline. I still love the simplicity, the spotlighted bird, and the ribbon tab that would appear to come out of no where but is grounded by the sentiment. It might even be my favorite card yet, and yep, the husband will write that in his book!

(Does any one know the name of the Stampin' Up stamp set where this bird lives?)

Supplies Used: SU Natural White Cardstock, For the Love of Dots Stamp Set and Pink Striped May Arts Ribbon from Practicing Creativity Designs, SU Sweet Little Sentiments Stamp Set, Bird (SU-unknown), Colorbox Chalk Ink in Olive Pastel, SU Going Gray Pigment Ink, Thread

13 comments:

  1. i am speechless... i love love love this fabulous simple design! you ROCK!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Karen! Great card! I don't recognize the bird, sorry. I am so like you, and I have had that exact conversation with my man AND my 9 year old son! He is usally around more to see all the things I take pics of! They both think I am crazy, but it is so much fun, getting the perfect shot! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this card and the set up! Aren't hubbies the best for indulging us our hobby... Of course, my hubby is saving the world from terrorists writing now playing Modern Warfare...So they have their hobbies too I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute card! Love the colors and that ribbon is awesome! How in the world did you manage to attach the card to the tree??? It's magic!
    Girl I don't think husbands will ever get the importance of proper picture taking for our masterpieces! Ha!
    Brandi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this, Karen! What a great idea to stamp that bird atop a dot. At first I thought the dots were paper -- love that they're stamped! Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Karen this post had me giggling. I understand that conversation. It's funny how our husbands need to know why when we would be more like "Okay, that's nice honey".

    anyhow, awesome stitching. Love what you did with the big dots. I have no idea where that bird belong either. Does it have a date on the block? I may have the old catalogue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lot of originality in this card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And I absolutely ADORE this one too. You rock the modern clean and simple look. Love the ribbon and the dots...oh and the colors...and the birdie...and on and on. Simply Fab!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE IT! You do such fabulous work Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really love this! Unique, clean, & graphic! Your ribbon tab and stitching caught my eye immediately and I got such a chuckle from your post. :> I'd be up a tree, no pun intended, if I couldn't photograph outdoors most of the time. I just don't have a good lighting setup inside (yet) and thankfully, living in CA, outdoor photos are usually possible. *Usually*! But, I know a lot of bloggers who do photograph inside and just try to make the lighting work for them. Maybe I'm just lazy.....love that it cuts the editing time way down! :>

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it too! Very cool card!! Love everything about it!

    BTW... have I told you yet that I love your new pic? I noticed it a while ago but dont remember if I ever told you! :) Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. great design, Karen! love the peek of ribbon and that clever stitching:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this card - the chubby little bird and how you did that stitching detail are great! (I will keep my eye out for that little guy in the Stampin Up catalog, as now I will be looking for him!)
    Thanks so much for finding my blog and for you sweet comment! Your blog is so nice and I lcve the way you write - looking forward to reading more!!

    ReplyDelete